[thelist] Why won't this page validate?

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Thu Apr 25 11:53:01 CDT 2002

> Why doesn't it pick up the other link that has the same target?

well, that's the w3 validator, it's like that

try leaving a block element unclosed, or inserting an inline element where
it doesn't belong, and watch the validator barf on the rest of the document

i'm not denigrating it, i love it, but it does fall down occasionally

you just have to keep fixing errors until they all go away

once you remove the first target attribute, it will surely find the second

> I thought the target attribute was valid for the strict doctype.

no, just transitional

transitional means "go ahead and keep on using this feature but be aware
that there's something wrong with your thinking and some day(*) it may stop
working"

what's wrong with target?  we've just been through that in the past week or
so (the list archives are your friend -- see threads "To _blank or not to
_blank" and "_blank smackdown 2002")

rudy

(*) "... on some planet in some distant gallery, you too will have a
chance, albeit an infinitessimal one..."
[ obscure reference: http://futility.com ]