[thelist] Alternative CA's

Steve Lewis slewis at macrovista.net
Tue Dec 10 13:20:00 CST 2002

Koutoulas, Pete wrote:
> We are looking for a CA to issue us SSL certificates for several servers. We
> had a bad experience with Verisign and also feel that their products are
> overpriced. I was about to go with Thawte until I discovered that they had
> been bought out by Verisign. So my question to the group is, what are the
In defence of Thawte, they seemed to have retained their free will and
their intelligent employees when Verisign purchased them.  I have never
personally had a horror story with Thawte; they are unforgiving and
exacting about selling their certs but were not terribly overpriced or
unreasonable.  OTOH I cannot say I have had a horror story with Geotrust
either and I have found Geotrust to have more generous policies.

--Steve