selling out (was Re: [thelist] TLD's)

Oliver Lineham oliver at lineham.co.nz
Thu Jun 29 20:34:37 CDT 2000

At 09:18 30/06/00 +0930, you wrote:

>Should they change their name to McTuvalu to get some advertising cash? After
>all, it's only a name - the country would still run regardless.

You're assuming that by allowing anyone in the world to buy gazillions .tv
domains, the Tuvalu image will be tarnished.

I don't buy that argument. Someone has fucked.co.nz and is using it for
something completely unrelated to NZ. Is that tarnishing the New Zealand image?

What are you suggesting they do instead?  Only allow Tuvalu citizens to buy
.tv domains?  That's useful, I don't know how many computers are on the
island but suspect you could count them on your fingers and toes.

So they have a higher proportion than most, of domains owned by foreigners.
So what.

I really don't see how Tuvalu's approach to domain names is different to
any other country's approach:  let anyone buy what domain they want.

With the exception of Australia, which has most rigid and draconian domain
policy of any ccTLD.

</ol>

     v i b e   m e d i a    http://www.vibe.co.nz/
  po box 10-492              wellington, new zealand
  phone +64 21 210-7845         oliver at lineham.co.nz