[thelist] presentation vs. structure (was "random image")

Erika Meyer erika at seastorm.com
Tue Jul 4 00:20:47 CDT 2000

I think this is all a process of learning, unlearning, relearning.

When I started with HTML it probably hitting peak FONT tag madness
time.  I started with the NCSA Beginners Guide to HTML which was
good, and which promoted structural markup. But I was influenced by
the trends around me. So I wanted my headers to look just "so" so I
colored the H1 tag...eventually giving it up all together for <FONT
SIZE=6 FACE="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Sans-Serif" color="red">This
is Pretty?</FONT>.

I wanted links two different colors (hence the <font> tag inside the
with colored cells like hotwired.com, so along came <td bgcolor> plus
an attribute-laden font tag in every cell.

My portfolio of sites, when I look at the HTML, is a story in itself.
It's like when you see the brush strokes the artist painted over...
the progress of the work, not just the finished product.

Of course, 99.999% of clients couldn't give a **** about what the
HTML looks like....that is until they need to go and do the updates
themselves. (all the while I am praying: "Please don't use
PageMill...")

A lot of times I (and others) do choose CSS elements based on how the
"look."  Especially when it comes to Netscape.  I tend to use <div>
because Netscape can manage to put it in a square and put on a
rectangular background-color with some kind of border around it.  I
don't know exactly what NN would do with a background-color on a <p>
but I have my doubts... (maybe I'll have to try it).

When I find something that works tolerably well in two major
platforms I'm not generally inclined to go looking for CSS trouble.

We are just now getting to the point of having CSS1 compliant
browsers.  So for me, I am still trying to figure out what I can get
away with in terms of CSS1.  And I think I'm just coming to the point
where, in sites where I'm in control, I'm going to be okay with
leaving non-CSS browsers behind, in terms of presentation.

As with FONT tags.  I did not eliminate them all in one fell swoop.
As I became more proficient with CSS, they kind of trickled away out
of my code bit by bit.  Once my documents came close to clean
validation, that was inspiration enough to boot out the last few
stragglers.

My process of site design is now a process of addition & subtraction.
How much can I put into an external stylesheet & still have a
tolerably attractive site across platforms? And what kind of "look"
am I going to seek and/or tolerate from non-CSS browsers?  I'm still
trying to figure out how much I can "get away with" under what
conditions.  I would prefer my sites look pretty good to prospective
employers, prospective clients, who rarely or never look at the code.

I would like one day, for a client/employer to say, "oh, how lovely.
Your code validates. And your interface is both attractive and quick
to download.  And my, what a wonderful job you have done separating
presentation from content."  It would be great if this one day these
priorities are important to someone who has money to pay me to build
web sites.  I hope it happens. If not, I'll just have get by on my
deep sense of personal satisfaction.

So anyway, my current goal is to build something interesting,
informative, navigable, accessible, well-formed, valid AND pretty (in
4x browsers).  If I can do that, I'll be more than satisfied.

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</span>

HTML Unleashed: procedural & structural markup
http://www.webreference.com/dlab/books/html/3-1.html
1997. Dmitry Kirsanov

erika at seastorm.com
http://www.seastorm.com