[thelist] Site Critique Please

Jorah Lavin madstone at madstone.net
Tue Jul 4 08:35:20 CDT 2000

At 07:45 AM 7/4/00, John Scoot wrote:

>Would you please critique the following site www.buildingadvice.co.uk it's
>ourfirst serious commercial site and we would like to learn from our
>mistakes.

I didn't see any functional problems... Win95, 56k modem, looking at the
site from the US.  All my comments are just personal opinion...

I'd love to see a little more "margin" space on the right side.  The text
is running into the browser side on my screen.  Some of the pages have the
text running right down to the very bottom... I'd like a little more
whitespace down there.
I like the way the top of the page smoothly resizes to fit my browser
window.  I like the little construction men who animate alongside the left
menu, but was surprised when they didn't show up every time... might it be
more clear if they actually _stayed_there_ pointing at the menu item for
the current page I'm on?

On the other hand, (pun intended) I always feel like I'm breaking out in
hives when I see the "shaking hands" image like the one you have on the
splash page... and that tiny animation with the people sitting around the
table got annoying really quickly.

>I know we will get flak for using Comic Sans throughout, but this
>was at our client's insistence.

Actually, I thought it worked with the overall theme of the cartoon
construction workers.

>thanks in advance for your criticisms and comments.

I think it is a very smooth, unified look, focused on the task at hand.

I was a little mystified at the link to Fluke, though... why give me a link
to a site I can't see unless I've got a password?

-Jorah