[thelist] Creating a website for South/Central America

Eduardo Domínguez Martínez edomingu at infosel.com.mx
Tue Jul 4 11:31:39 CDT 2000

First, remember that America is not the US, America
is a continent that goes from Alaska to Chile, and using
it otherwise will surely piss off all the readers.
This is a great pet peeve (?) for us latin americans.

Take in consideration the subtle variations of
spanish. If you are going for a formal spanish,
you will have almost no problem. But if its
informal, then you are into serious trouble because
you have to balance coolness (using funny slang)
and clearness (making people understand and dont
get pissed because of different meanings).

It happens here in Mexico lots and I have seen it
happen with people from other countries. For
example "chaqueta" means jacket in the north, while
in the south means some sexual gratification, and doesnt
mean anything in diferent latin countries. :)

Good luck there.