[thelist] Re: Client Relations Re: 'design by..' line

Neroli neroli at hotkey.net.au
Wed Jul 5 00:42:23 CDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "aardvark" <roselli at earthlink.net>

> but the connotation without seeing how it looks is that is the sign of an
amateur...

Hmmmmmm which is partly true in my case.....but also it can be useful
(hopefully) when the client hasn't paid for the hours of work and it is one
way of getting your name around....good or bad publicity is still publicity!
The old marketing strategy.....maybe works for you...maybe against...but a
risk I have taken.

The joys of working for friends as clients..who want everything...give
nothing....change their minds and expect changes every time you turn
around......
I became photographer (when she was quoted $3,500 to have the pics taken for
her site), I was the fool who sat & entered all the stock into a price list
& coded everything in her factory!
The "behind" the site work was astronomical...tedious and many long
hours....and without appreciation or thanks.
Adding sound and (crappy) Flash inserts, at clients request....she wanted to
be different than her competitors!!!
and...so it goes on.....
Then at the end to be told nah....cant afford to pay you as I am spending
$70,000 redecorating my home...I will "drip feed" you.....
I was totally unimpressed and it has pushed a friendship to the very limits!
So yes I have added my logo to each & every page....over kill YES!
I WILL calm down and remove them at a later date...
but there are exceptions to every rule...
and this is my story! *grin*
Anyone interested to view the site feel free...
http://www.surfaustralia.com.au
She has offered 10% discount to anyone who says they know me or writes
"Hello Australia 2000"
in the comment box on the SECURE ORDER FORM

I had the best critics look at the site -  way back ...thanks Guys!
I took the comments and tried to have them accepted re dispose of sound etc.
but to no avail.
So believing the customer is always right...especially if they are paying
the bills! Hmmm
I went with what was asked.
Just my two cents here.for what it's worth.
Thanks for letting me vent! *S*

kind thoughts
Neroli