[thelist] Cranky Request

Jorah Lavin madstone at madstone.net
Wed Jul 5 18:36:53 CDT 2000

I'm going to owe a tip for taking up bandwidth with this.  Bear with
me.  I'm cranky because my back went into spasm early this morning and
still hasn't let up.

Okay, this is my request.

When asking for a site review, could we have something in the subject line
differentiating _which_ site you mean?

Like this:   Subject: Site Review Request, madstone.net

That way I can keep track of the threads.  I think at one point today there
may have been as many as three similarly-named threads floating around.

<pseudo-tip until I think of a real one when I feel better>
Back in The Day, when I was a rough, tough carpenter's helper, I once was
sent up on the roof of a new house to snap some chalk lines for later use.

The roof was high, and the house was near the top of a fairly high hill, so
there was something of a vista.  Overcast, windy day.  After a few lines,
my chalk line got damaged, so I strolled to the peak of the roof and stood
there in the wind.

I reeled out the line to the damage point and hacked about 13 meters of
string off. I tried to toss the bad length of line down into the yard, and
the wind caught it.  This length of red string floated away in this
unbelievable slow way, considering how strong the wind was, raised up a few
meters over my head, and stopped about 30 feet away, just twisting and
turning in the air, like some sort of Chinese dragon of the old days.

Still gives me shivers, still one of the most strikingly lovely things I
saw in all those years I worked on construction sites...

-Jorah
</pseudo-tip>