[thelist] New TLD .eu

Comharsa comharsa at clara.net
Thu Jul 6 09:33:25 CDT 2000

From: "Ron White"

> It surprised me as well, but yeah, here's the quote - It actually says
> eliminate the existing country domains...
>
> <Quote from idg.net don't have the URL anymore>
> Moreover, the new top level domain would let companies avoid the necessity
> of registering in different EU countries, according to the Commission.
> Currently, each EU country has its own domain -- ".fr" for France, for
> example. The .eu domain would eliminate the existing country domains,
> however.
> </quote>

http://www.idg.net/ic_196988_2137_0-65564.html

However, from their first announcement in January:

"The .eu domain name will not replace existing EU country domain names, but
will be offered as an alternative."

As they say in this latest report that it would " let companies avoid the
necessity of registering" I think that there may be a missing word, a *not*
before the eliminate. Otherwise the earlier statement is irrelevant as there
would not be a possibility of registering in different countries. (Also
going by their standard of checking - you can sort the search by date or
*revelance*).

Brian
comharsa at clara.net

Fireworks FAQ: http://comharsa.com/firefaq.php3