[thelist] New TLD .eu

Richard H. Morris richard.morris at web-designers.co.uk
Thu Jul 6 14:20:18 CDT 2000

Aardvark wrote:

> [...]

A European writes:

This whole issue is going to be a nightmare: all that will happen is that
every single business and every single domain name speculator will try to
get in there first when the domain names first go on sale and the system
will collapse.

We'll have all the companies in the member states thrashing it out as to who
is entitled to a particular domain and let's not forget that each member
state has its own law, all of which are developing into the Internet arena.

I doubt that replacing the TLDs is actually on the cards as this would
reduce the availability of domain names exacerbating the problem there
currently is and also open up a whole new ball game of compensation for
those who would lose domain names they hold (in some cases free - my
morris.co.uk domain name was registered way back, before Nominet came into
existence) or who miss out on grabbing the corresponding .eu domain.

Furthermore, the public at large more or less know about .coms and (in the
UK) the .co.uk SLD but would be unlikely to understand that there's a .eu
TLD to use.

So who wins?  Only those of us who can make a buck registering .eu domains
for Clients who already have the corresponding .co.uk or whatever domains.
No benefit to business at large *whatsoever*.

The usual bureaucratic dabbling and waste of time and money we've come to
expect from our unelected masters in Brussels...

_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/ _/ _/ _/ _/
Richard H. Morris, Director, Web Designers Ltd
        http://www.web-designers.co.uk
        Registered in England No 3506389
                  Registered Office:
3 Church Street Wymondham Norfolk NR18 0PH
                   Trading Address:
4 Maden Close Wymondham Norfolk NR18 0UA
               T: +44 (0)1953 606158
               F: +44 (0)1953 606185