[thelist] .gif text

Peggy Daniels pegdaniels at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 6 19:00:03 CDT 2000

Hail thelist....

This is no doubt a very basic question.  My asking it anyway is probably
going to cause many of you to totally discount anything I may have to say in
the future :)

Is it ever ok to have .gif text?

For example, I'm thinking of logos that are mostly or only text, and have to
display in a particular font because the words are the whole logo (with the
obligatory swoosh, of course).  Or, maybe a header that appears on all
pages, that is some kind of image map with text on it too, with the text
parts being links.  Is it ok to have .gif text for links or whatever, if
there are also plain text equivalents elsewhere on the page?

If the answer is "no, images should never ever contain text" then I have a
follow-up question (again, revealing the holes in my knowledge):  How is it
possible to use any kind of special font if it's not in an image?  Not for
the body of content on a page, of course, but for the other parts like the
above-mentioned logo or some crazy navbar style that a client wants used.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you all might have.....

Peggy Daniels
Web Designer, Aston IT Group North America
pkd at astonit-us.com  pegdaniels at hotmail.com