[thelist] Where does creative inspiration come from? (was .gif text + a TIP)

vidman design vidman at starnet.com.au
Fri Jul 7 09:48:46 CDT 2000

>  I am also
> concerned with how to trigger the flow of creative juices, and this
> tip struck a chord, and made me wonder - what other techniques do
> web people use for 'tricking' themselves into inspiration?

Hmm.. creative insperation.. geezz George you do come up with the topic

I just today had a piece of "accidental" insperation.

I was following links.. you know.. looking at something of interest then
getting side tracked (I allways right click open in new window) into
another and another...untill i found myself in jodi.org (once again).

Clicking my way through the pages blindly (is there any other way in
jodi.org??) when one page struck me for its potential. So I did what I
sometimes do and put my face right up aginst the monitor (gotta clean it
now..) and changed my focus with the one eye open. I changed my
perspective and my head started buzzing with ideas (or was it the
radiation from the screen?? LOL). So a screen shot was taken and into
photoshop i went.

Now here is where the "accidental" insperation came into it. I did layer
upon layer. Playing around with the modes of each layer. Perspective was
done to some of the layers (sometimes just a section of a layer). A few
filters added to a layer here and a layer there and before I knew it it
was kickin ass. Now the page from jodi.org doesnt look anything like the
original. Yes its copying but in the same way that "found art" is.

> Next time
> you've gotta come up with a new concept for a web site design... start
> by skinning/scanning the cat!  Don't think about it, just do it!

I "had" to laff when I read this line for I actually have scanned the
cat and used it on the web-
http://www.planet.net.au/~davidraf/etc2.html

If yer interested in seeing the whole site, go to
http://www.planet.net.au/~davidraf (Note- I havent touched the site for
ages and it was only thrown togeather at the time so a lot is broken and
a mess!!)

So yes- accidents are a great thing. Never look a coffee stain on a
piece of paper as a mess again. Try scanning it!

One thing with accidental insperation is that you "tend" to get grungy
results. Its just as a result of "playing" around with it.

Well thats my little bit for now on this subject. Id like to see what
others have to say. let the artist in you come out!!

vid :)

For designs that grab your attention
     like a mohawk on a politician!
http://www.starnet.com.au/vidman