[thelist] .gif text

Julia Frizzell Julia_Frizzell at Brown.edu
Fri Jul 7 10:22:10 CDT 2000

At 2:25 PM +0100 7/7/00, kev.skindrill wrote:
>  >How is it
>>  possible to use any kind of special font if it's not in an image
>
>This may come from my naivety about web stuff, but I don't see why it isn't
>possible to upload a font with your page so that you are not restricted to
>the "web Friendly" fonts. Would this method really be any different to
>uploading an image? You could just have the font in its own file with a bit
>of HTML to guide the browser in the right direction, e.g.

>After all, when you submit a job on disk to a printer all the fonts must be
>included otherwise it can't be output correctly. Is this a good idea or am I
>just (heaven forbid!) wishing for an easy life :)

Yeah, but the printer uses the fonts to print your job, and they
don't go with the published document out to the user.

If you give the web user access to your font, you'd better make sure
it's freeware. Otherwise they've got a font that *you* paid for
(hopefully!) for free, just to view your site. And can use it
anywhere else they want, unless you tell them they have to pay for
it. And how likely is that going to happen?

There are folks working on embedding fonts on web pages.

http://www.bitstream.com/ is one.

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/web/embedding/weft2/default.htm
of course, from Microsoft.

This article compares the two techinques above:

http://www.asptoday.com/articles/20000127.htm

Hmm...there was some talk about it in our archives, but I can't seem
to access them (dan? I keep being told I don't have permission to
access the threads. And if I click on the txt.gz link, I get this:
http://lists.evolt.org/archive/Week-of-Mon-19991108.txt.gz
which I can read as plain text on the web. Methinks something is
messed up there...

--
Julia Frizzell
julia_frizzell at brown.edu