[thelist] [Fwd: Roaming Profiles]

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Fri Jul 7 16:37:44 CDT 2000

> On an NT 4.0 network, I'm using roaming profiles.  With a system policy
> set
> to delete local profiles at logoff, there is still a local profile left
> on
> the computer with a .001 extension.  Later, there is a .002, .003, .004,
> etc.  It keeps building until I have to remove them all.  Why does this
> occur, and how can I stop this?

What 'client' are you using? (Novell versus MS) What Workstation OS? (Win9x/NT/2K??)
What Service Pack Level are you on with the Server AND the Clients (if, Client is
NT)? Also, do the local users have local admin rights the machine they are loging
into? Many times MS assumes the local user has local admin rights to the box - while
I personally I believe they should not - and therefore things like this happen
because they don't have rights to remove the information. (Although how it got there
without proper rights is just a pain in the ass.)

Here's a few places to start:

Controlling Default Behavior for Roaming User Profiles
  http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q196/2/84.ASP

How to Automatically Delete Locally Cached Profiles
  http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q173/8/70.ASP

Step by Step Roaming Profiles Configuration
  http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q161/0/70.asp

Roaming Profiles Are Not Deleted from the Local Hard Disk
  http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q242/5/47.ASP

Roaming Profiles Do Not Always Update Correctly
  http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q191/4/16.ASP

Roaming User Profiles
  http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/sysmgmt/profile_8x0z.htm

How to Update Permissions for User Profiles
  http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q156/6/97.asp
--
Anthony Baratta