[thelist] LMHost file a Mac version...

Greg Strange gstrange at e-tsi.com
Sat Jul 8 11:52:07 CDT 2000

on 7/8/00 8:42 AM, James Spahr at james at designframe.com wrote:

> on 7/8/00 6:05 AM, Mike King at mike.king at redroom.co.uk wrote:
>
>> My question is: Can I do this sort of spoofing on my Mac (OS 8.1)
>
> sure, if you are running 8.1 you must be using the open transport networking
> stack - which has support for using a local hosts file
>
> http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n28023
>
> read the section labeled 'local hosts file'

Wow!  I am a certified Apple Technician and I never knew this.  Thanks for
the info.  However, I have one question.

I noticed in the article that their CNAMEs and their A records don't have
trailing periods to denote that the address requested is a FQDN.  It seems
to me that the file was cause the DNR to bark because it doesn't have a
$ORIGIN Record or an SOA record attached to the file.  Is this what I am
seeing or does the MacOS add the FQDN no matter the trailing period?

Thanks for the tip!

Greg Strange