[thelist] Cropping images rather thn "squishing" them

elkay lwkraemer at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 8 18:12:26 CDT 2000

Greg,

If you're looking for a quickie, you can indeed use the browser to make
pseudo-thumbnail images by adjusting the W/H attributes of the img tag
(though quality may degrade). All you have to do is ensure that the
reduction in size (percentage) is equally applied to both the width and the
height to retain the original proportions. You may need to get your
calculator out!

This is a double-edged sword though. To your advantage, if you will be using
the full-sized image later in your site, it will have already been cached by
the browser and appear quite quickly. On the other hand, if you're putting a
whole bunch of these pseudo-thumbnail images on a single page, the download
time will suffer as I've previously described.

If you're in a pinch for time, go ahead and do the pseudo-thumbnail images,
then, at your first opportunity (before the site goes live) create and
include optimized thumbnail images. This, of course, creates the other edge
of the sword. Now you will have to have twice as many images, a thumbnail
and a full-size for each image. You'll then be dealing with the thumbnail
file and full-size file download. BUT since they'll be on different pages,
the perceived download time is generally an accepted compromise for your
users.

Get my drift?
LK