[thelist] LMHost file a Mac version...

James Spahr james at designframe.com
Sat Jul 8 21:55:26 CDT 2000

on 7/8/00 12:34 PM, Greg Strange at gstrange at e-tsi.com wrote:

> I noticed in the article that their CNAMEs and their A records don't have
> trailing periods to denote that the address requested is a FQDN.  It seems
> to me that the file was cause the DNR to bark because it doesn't have a
> $ORIGIN Record or an SOA record attached to the file.  Is this what I am
> seeing or does the MacOS add the FQDN no matter the trailing period?

Gee, I don't know. :)

I'm guessing its just a simple lookup, and OT doesn't care. Example, here's
my hosts file:

-- start --
print.designframe.com    A    192.168.0.7
lists.designframe.com    A    192.168.0.7
asip.designframe.com    A    192.168.0.2
-- end --

so when a resolve for 'asip.designframe.com' is processed OT knows its
'192.168.0.2'. I understand your concern, and the need for a trailing
period, but the hosts file isn't meant to be a full fledged local DNS.

Maybe in a weeks when the public X beta comes out, the story will be
different.

James.