[thelist] Winstability - best version for webdev

Oliver Lineham oliver at lineham.co.nz
Tue Jul 11 05:49:04 CDT 2000

hi all,

i'm trying to decide what windows version to reinstall for this machine
(used primarily for web development) - windows 2000 or nt4.  i have the
system resources for either.

my main priority is stability, with interface a close second.

my experience has been roughly (not necessarily on this box):
  win 95:  4-5 or more crashes per day
  win 98:  1-2 crashes per day
  win NT:  stable for many days
  2000:  i've not used it.

nt is pretty stable.  but I really love the small ui improvements in
98/2000 - the quicklaunch toolbars on the task bar, the way you can
minimise apps by clicking their task bar button, reordering menus by just
dragging.. etc.  stuff nt4 doesn't have.

is 2000 more stable than nt4?  or less stable?

(ps. non-windows OS rants will be duly ignored.  you don't need to convince
me other OSs are good, i already know. OS holy wars are no good for anyone.)

</ol>

     v i b e   m e d i a    http://www.vibe.co.nz/
  po box 10-492              wellington, new zealand
  phone +64 21 210-7845         oliver at lineham.co.nz