[thelist] Winstability - best version for webdev

Czechowski, Aaron aczechowski at towson.edu
Tue Jul 11 07:12:07 CDT 2000

win2k, win2k, win2k!  your numbers for crashes are what i've seen here at
work and in cetain publications.  winnt4 is MUCH more stable than any win9x,
but win2k is an improvement upon that.  i've been using win2k for about 9
months and love it.  when an app crashes - everything else is fine.  my
network connection might die, or a server might go down, but i don't need to
restart.  other than restarts due to installation of certain apps, I really
only HAD to restart the system once or twice in those 9 months.  and that
was only when i did something stupid, threw lots of memory crushing apps and
didn't really have the memory to handle it.  Any I restarted mostly because
I didn't want to wait for all the apps to die and the OS to stabalize - from
years of working with Win9x, I've been conditioned to reboot at the first
sign of problems!

Basically, in a nutshell, I highly recommend Windows 2000 Professional as a
business desktop OS.

Aaron :)

Aaron M. Czechowski, MCP
Senior Client Services Associate