[thelist] Winstability - best version for webdev

Czechowski, Aaron aczechowski at towson.edu
Tue Jul 11 18:20:23 CDT 2000

i know the original intent of this post was not to start an OS war, so I
should probably just hold my tongue, but i really can't help it!  I will
yield that, for example, windows is not as stable as linux, but often times
it's not the OS that is buggy, but the apps that are running on it.  Lauri,
your friend whose system crashes 20+ times a day - have him hit CTRL-ALT-DEL
sometime and see how many tasks are running, I'd bet it's a lot.  The more
crap you throw at ANY os, the less stable it will be.  HOw many icons does
your friend have in the system tray (down by the clock and/or the speaker
icon)?  99 times out of a 100 you only need ONE icon there - the volume
control.  Anything else is probably a background "helper" app that just eats
up memory and makes the system more unstable.

the moral of my rant: don't (always) shoot the messenger.

aaron  :)

<tip>
do you hate it when you double-click an HTML page in Windows and it opens in
IE?  or you right-click and select edit and it opens it in, gasp! Word?!?!
Rather it open in Notepad?  Do this:  Open My Computer, go to View - Folder
Options (in 98, slightly different in 95, NT, or 2K, but look around those
menus, it's there someplace). Go to the "File Types" tab, and scroll down to
HTM and/or HTML (may actually be under "Microsoft...").  Click the Edit
button, then remove any entries you don't want, including any for "Edit".
(These entries are those that will appear in the context menu when you right
click an HTML file.)  Then click New..., name it "Edit" then browse to
Notepad.exe, which will probably be in c:\windows.  Click OK.  FInally,
select your new EDit action and click "Set Default."  OK your way back to My
Computer, and you're set.  :)
</tip>