[thelist] Winstability - best version for webdev

Aylard JA (James) jaylard at equilon.com
Tue Jul 11 20:00:51 CDT 2000

Lauri Väin wrote:
> However a
> friend of mine is not that lucky. His computer crashes 20-50 times a
> day. It's actually quite funny to watch (in case this happens to your
> best friend of course, not yourself). A restart in every 20 minutes, I
> laughed my ass off while he made restarts.

	That crash record was almost certainly not due to the OS itself. If
you run a plain vanilla copy of Win 95 on appropriate hardware, you will
almost never crash; as you install apps (especially shareware and freeware
that have received little bug testing) and have numerous processes running
in the background, you increase the instability of the platform. Win 95
certainly is not as robust as Linux, but if your friend loads enough junk
onto Linux, he may well see the same problem he had with Win95. One other
possibility: your friend may have had a virus infection.
	If you're having a similar problem, take a look at what software you
are running. Your best bet might be to reformat your hard drive and
reinstall Windows, and then take a lot of care in what you layer on top of
that. Otherwise, consider an upgrade to Win2K or some other OS.

James Aylard
jaylard at equilon.com