[thelist] Roping clients

Walker, Matthew Matthew.Walker at cdc.org.nz
Tue Jul 11 20:58:03 CDT 2000

> (and I know
> doing free sites/low cost work helps, but how does one find even those
> that want this work done?)
>
> I hope this question isn't too taboo.... it would be a great help for
> those of us trying to make it on our own in the field.

I don't think it's taboo at all. Since I'm in New Zealand, I'm hardly your
competition. And there's so much work around, we're better to work together
to get it done quickly and learn quickly than waste energy fighting amongst
ourselves.

I started out commercially by doing small sites (2-4 pages) for my parents
and their friends. My mother scored me I couldn't count how many sites.
Previously I had created a great lumbering beast of a site* just for fun and
this actually scored me my first large job. If you are thinking about doing
something just for the experience, try to make sure it is something that
will look good in your portfolio. Small jobs lead to bigger jobs,
definitely. Often from the same people, I've found. So take real good care
of your clients, even the little ones (I've fouled this up quite a few
times). Who knows who they know!

The other thing is to think about whether you're more the graphic/design
person or the HTML/script/Web application/server side language/database sort
of person. I thought I was in the first group, and a year later it turns out
I seem more comfortable in the second. I do both at the moment, but thinking
about this influences the tools I choose to learn (e.g. CFML instead of
Flash).

Regards,
Matthew Walker
Web developer
Canterbury Development Corporation
Christchurch, New Zealand
Tel +64-3-379 5575, Fax +64-3-379 5554
Mobile +64-25-605 5747
http://www.cdc.org.nz/

*hike.org -- it's a very old design, hasn't had any work done in ages, and I
know about all the problems so don't go critiquing it!