[thelist] Re: Request from hans van bommel

Annie Phelan aphelan at norlink.net
Wed Jul 12 12:27:58 CDT 2000

<snip>

>  I can tell you from personal
> knowledge that with your name and birthday I can get a LOT more info on you
> (this applies only to 'Mericans, some Canucks too) that you would not want
> me to have, i.e. SSN, address, Mom's maiden name, etc. If you were to use
> this service I would use coded names...

</snip>

Actually that can pretty much apply anywhere in the EU, States, and not just
some Canucks, all of them :) The internet is a ludicrisely broadbase of
'legally attainable' information, the amount of data passed and possessed by
indifiduals and organisations is vast. Technically all you need is either a
first and last name, or any applicable ISP username. From there you can gather
pretty much any information you can dream up, from SSN and CCN right down to
pets and perfume, without actually 'technically' breaking the law. it's just a
matter of sleuthing, primarily lowtech and rediculously obvious at that. For
someone willing to break the law, it's a fingersnap. Any real sense of internet
privacy and security is generally misconcieved. Everything is secured, but
nothing is secure.

Annie