[thelist] SSI for navigation

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Wed Jul 12 15:52:11 CDT 2000

Martha Hesselein wrote on 12/7/00 4:02 pm

>Do y'all use SSI for stuff like navigation that is common over many pages?
>I just read about it, am very excited, but before making the leap I thought
>I would check with the experts.  Is this one way to avoid framed navigation
>if you have lots of pages?

Yes. Choose it over frames every single time.

Have a look at http://www.funkmusic.co.uk/
(the outer frames are merely to hide the fact that it
runs on another server, which allows scripts - the
real domain hosts give you bugger all).

All the navigation comes from SSI exec calls which
pull the navigation text, links and tooltips from
data files, work out where *this* page is and
excludes it from the list, then dynamically builds
the HTML.

That way, I can add a whole new section or subsection
very, very easily, just by adding a line to a text
file.

I can send you the script & data files offlist.

Of course, a database can be a smarter way to do this,
but ndb.

fwiw, the CSS, JS, page header and page footer also
come from SSIs - about the only 'real' content of the
page's file is the main page content.

Cheers
Martin