[thelist] Hidden Fields

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 12 16:14:04 CDT 2000

> From: "kev.skindrill" <kev.skindrill at bigfoot.com>
>
> I have often seen references to hidden fields & I'm ashamed to admit I
> haven't got a clue what they are about or their uses. Could someone
> possibly point me in the direction of any good tutorials about them
> please. And thanks for the answer about the "pl" extension.

a hidden field:

<input type="hidden" name="foo" value="bar">

when the form is submitted, it will pass 'bar' as the value of 'foo'...
on interim pages, i used hidden fields to hold data by inserting it on
the server... so in ASP, i would write that value as i go...

<input type="hidden" name="foo" value="<% = Request("foo")
%>">

similar syntax for your favorite server-side scripting environment...

so you can pass data from page to page (on form submits, but the
above will also pull it from the query string in the URL) without the
user seeing it, just by requesting it from the previous page...

make any sense at all?