Fwd: [thelist] Netscape positioning help

Kevin B. O'Brien ahuka at ahuka.com
Wed Jul 12 17:27:10 CDT 2000

At 10:46 AM 7/11/2000 -0500, James Aylard wrote:
>Kevin,
>
> > There is a trade-off involved, but part of what I was doing is trying to
> > figure out what works and what doesn't. The page will validate as XHTML
>1.0
> > now, but I am stuck with blue borders around the images that have links.
> > Unless someone has a bright idea on how to get rid of them without making
> > Netscape put the images all in the upper left corner? Any takers one that
>one?
>
>         You should be able to use the border="0" attribute within your img
>element and still validate using the transitional (or loose) dtd. AFAIK,
>XHTML does not restrict the use of the border attribute.

The XHTML Validator at W3C flags it if I try to validate as strict. I
haven't yet tested to see how far back I have to go before the border
attribute is acceptable. I am doing this on my own personal site mostly to
test out what is practical and what isn't.  On my "real world" sites I
don't try to be that strict about it, but if I don't experiment, how will I
know what I can do?<g>

>  If you want to
>validate to the strict dtd, of course, you'll have to use a style sheet
>declaration to set the border to none. And in my testing, Netscape 4.x
>doesn't respect the CSS border attribute applied to an image, which defeats
>what you're trying to do.

Yes, that seems to be the case. If I can get it to validate using the CSS
border attribute, and IE reads it OK, that may be the best compromise I can
make at this point.

--
Kevin B. O'Brien                TANSTAAFL
ahuka at ahuka.com
Help fight SPAM. Join CAUCE. http://www.cauce.org/
"University politics are vicious precisely because the stakes are so small.
"   -- Henry Kissinger