FWD: re: [thelist] Extension

Daniel J. Cody dcody at oracular.com
Thu Jul 13 10:18:43 CDT 2000

____________________________________
From: Madhu Menon <madhu_news at postmark.net>
To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
Subject: re: [thelist] Extension
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 20:57:18 +0530

>On a related note, a consultant we used has actually set up his
>personal server to run .HTM with the ASP script engine. Makes it
>look like he's serving straight HTML pages, when in actuality they

If you want to see something nifty, take a page you've done, rename
all the .GIF and .JPG files as .SUX (or pick any extension) and change
the IMG SRC references in your code accordingly. View the page. The
browser will still show the page properly because it checks the file
headers. But to someone who right clicks and saves your image, it will
be very mysterious. That's one way of protecting your work - sorta'.
Of course, this is not fool-proof, since they could just rename your
file. But what the heck.

I once considered naming all our HTML files with a .CNET extension
and changing the server settings accordingly. Of course, I didn't dare
try and get it approved :)

I sometimes feel I don't contribute enough to the list, so here
goes...

<tip type="colour" author="Madhu Menon">

If you want to try different colour schemes according to the image
you want to project, a nice site to try is http://www.paletteman.com

The site has many different pre-defined colour schemes and also lets
you rotate, lighten, and darken them. Quite useful.

And I spell it "colour" 'cause I use Brit English ;)

</tip>

You want more? Ooh... Somebody stop meeee....

<tip type="Checking pages" author="Madhu Menon">

So you've finished your web site and want to run a check on it to
check for code correctness, download speed, etc. ? What I do as a SOP
is to run it past Web site garage @ http://www.websitegarage.com

It will tell you download speed, HTML correctness, spelling, browser
compatibility (including damn WebTV), and even link popularity (how
many sites are linking to yours)

</tip>

And since I'm on a roll, here's the last set of steak knives for the
night:

<tip type="download speed optimisation" author="Madhu Menon">

While the total size of your pages and images is an important factor
in determining how fast your page comes down the wire, an often
overlooked factor is the number of objects on the page. For example,
an HTML page with 50 graphics contains 51 elements total (1 page + 50
graphics). So, remember this:

For each of the elements, your browser has to establish a connection
with the server, check the last modified date of the element (if it's
already in the local browser cache), and then download it. Doing this
for each element creates what's called "server chatter" and can easily
be a few hundred bytes for each element. You can easily quite a few
effective kilobytes to your Kilobyte count by populating your page
with numerous tiny graphics (small rounded corners, little bullets,
etc.) Beware!

</tip>

Good night everybody (this side of the ocean anyway :)

Madhu
Madhu Menon
Webmaster, CNET India
http://India.CNET.com