[thelist] Netscape 6?

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 13 13:47:48 CDT 2000

> From: "Michael Miller" <mmiller at abelsolutions.com>
>
> Does anyone try to program for Netscape 6?  The browser is very hard

erm, no... i actually code to specs, which actually means i'm
gonna get better results in N6 and IE5+... but i don't *target* it...

> to program for because it doesn't support much correctly.  Little bugs
> get very annoying.  I'm trying to use css to do absolute positioning,
> but for the life of me I can't get Netscape 6 to accept the top
> declaration.  Also, the positioning always seems to be relative.

actually, N6 is the most standards-compliant browser i have
found... it supports a whole helluva lot correctly... however, it
adheres to the HTML 4.01 and CSS1 standards... CSS-P and
CSS2 are not supported by N6, and even NN4.x and IE4.x don't do
them correctly for what little support they offer... so coding to the
CSS-P and CSS2 specs is just going to make your eyes bleed if
you expect it work perfectly...

> Thanks; if there's a work around let me know otherwise, I won't worry
> about Netscape 6 yet.

yeah, ditch CSS-P until a browser comes out that supports it...