[thelist] Netscape 6?

Aylard JA (James) jaylard at equilon.com
Thu Jul 13 14:38:18 CDT 2000

aardvark wrote:
> actually, N6 is the most standards-compliant browser i have
> found... it supports a whole helluva lot correctly... however, it
> adheres to the HTML 4.01 and CSS1 standards... CSS-P and
> CSS2 are not supported by N6

	Well, N6 *does* support some CSS2 properties, but currently you have
to experiment to find out which ones. About the most-recent word from
mozilla.org that I can find (dated 19 March 2000) is that "partial support
[for CSS2] is expected and has already been built into Gecko, including
support for CSS2 positioning, but no specific level of support has been
committed for the first release". The release notes for M15 (on which the N6
preview is built, IIRC) claim that support for positioning, tables, and
selectors was already complete, and "will likely be enabled" in the final
release of Gecko.
	CSS2 positioning (often referred to as CSS-P) will *have* to be
included in the final release of N6. If it's not, N6 will whither before
it's even off the vine, so it is inconceivable to me that positioning won't
be supported. But for all of this, you really are playing a guessing game at
this point, at least until release of the first full-fledged N6 beta
(meaning, not a "preview" version).

James Aylard
jaylard at equilon.com