[thelist] OT: SQL Server MDF Files

Scott Dexter sgd at ti3.com
Fri Jul 14 17:09:10 CDT 2000

unfortunately, you're more or less screwed, as the userids are associated
with 32-byte SIDs which are generated at random, and they need to match up.
In other words, when you recreate the userids on your new disk, the SID that
is associated with it will be different than the SID for the same userid in
your mdf file, and you won't be able to get at the data.

MS has documented this and in the SQL Books online is a possible workaround
titled, "Troubleshooting Orphaned Users."
(mk:@MSITStore:C:\MSSQL7\Books\sqlbol.chm::/html/8_tr_01_4.htm --if you have
the books online installed in C:\MSSQL7\Books then you can just paste that
into IE to get the article directly, or open up Books Online and search for
the title)

I hope this helps you get things back in order--
sgd
--
think safely