[thelist] New TLDs on the way .. for better or worse.

isaac forman isaac at members.evolt.org
Mon Jul 17 02:28:33 CDT 2000

> unfortunately it would be nice to have a free and unregulated tld, but only
> as long as there were still decent domain names available.  after that it'd
> be the same mess we have now, the only difference being it'd be a bunch of
> domain names attached to a not-so-recognizable/memorable tld.

And also, on the other hand, if you have a regulated TLD, who regulates it?

If .SHOP was added, who'd decide what was a legitimate shop? Would it be
required to ship internationally? If it only shipped to US and CA, should it be
forced to use .com.us and .ca, or stay in the unregulated .com space?

New TLDs could be restricted to countries only. IE, if the US sees that there is
a desire for .MUSEUM, then they can add it as .museum.com.us

isaac