[thelist] Win2K Again...

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Mon Jul 17 11:18:56 CDT 2000

Mike King wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Since there were a few murmurs about Win2K last week
> (http://lists.evolt.org/archive/Week-of-Mon-20000710/000071.html)
> I thought I'd ask the next logical question. Is anyone using Win2K as a production
> server? I've got the option to go for an upgrade, and seeing as SP1 came out the other
> day... well, is it safe to jump in now?
> I'm mainly worried about security and stability?

With all the relearning you have to do - e.g. M$ does its best to hide all the
important tools from you again. In my experience, it does appear to be more stable.
My NT 4.0 machines need to be rebooted every couple of months, if not more often. The
Win2K machines are a lot less frequent. They appear to serve pages faster with the
same load - but its hard to judge because the win2K servers are on better hardware.
Make sure you have good beefy hardware. I only use Dual Pentium 3 CPUs with a minimum
of 512MB RAM (1G if you run MS SQL on the same box as IIS).

The sad thing to me is that we require that much horsepower. What Intel giveth,
Microsoft taketh away.

--
Anthony Baratta
President