[thelist] cf: adjusting for timezones

Oliver Lineham oliver at lineham.co.nz
Mon Jul 17 18:20:31 CDT 2000

At 21:53 17/07/00 +0930, you wrote:

> > i'd rather use a function that just add the required hours, as there's

that should've said "i'd rather use a function than just add..".  oops.

>Previously I've been lazy and used the shitty add method to get a rough time.

that won't work for me, unless i want to manually go and alter the site
every 6 months when nz goes in/out of daylight saving time.

>I believe that you can set your location and time/date formats using some of
>these functions. Specifically, you may have some luck with the function
>GetTimeZoneInfo.

i had a look at that, but couldn't see a good clean solution.

there is SetLocale() which I am doing anyway, but i don't think any of the
time functions look at your locale.

i can find out how far from utc/gmt the host is, using
GetTimeZoneInfo.  the problem is converting it to NZST/NZDT which is
GMT+1200/+1300 respectively.

i'm hoping to avoid writing my own function to try and work out whether nz
is NZST or NZDT for a given date.

</ol>

     v i b e   m e d i a    http://www.vibe.co.nz/
  po box 10-492              wellington, new zealand
  phone +64 21 210-7845         oliver at lineham.co.nz