[thelist] IE 5.5 & CSS

Aylard JA (James) jaylard at equilon.com
Tue Jul 18 10:39:54 CDT 2000

kev.skindrill wrote:
> Now this used to work fine, but now it all works except the 1st line
>
> #heading1{font size: 24pt; font-family: arial; font-variant:
> small-caps}

Kev,

	Strangely, I got your sample CSS to work in IE 5.5. In point of
fact, however, the "font size" declaration should not work; "font size"
should be "font-size". This is apparently another case of IE's lax
enforcement of CSS rules. However, you'd be well-advised to include the dash
on all hyphenated property names -- most UAs won't be so forgiving, and with
some (namely Netscape 4), none of your properties will show up at all.

James Aylard
jaylard at equilon.com