[thelist] re:site price help

Katie Kearns kkearns at cisco.com
Tue Jul 18 14:13:39 CDT 2000

At 07:58 PM 7/17/00 -0700, you wrote:
>It's illegal, darling.
>
>It's called price-fixing. Basically, if a band of people get together, say
>plumbers or carpenter or glass-blowers or... web developers and start
>discussing how much they are going to charge, the group can be accused of
>price-fixing.

Only if they agree to charge that and nothing less. Honestly, I do not
think that sharing the prices you charge would be price fixing at all. In
fact, if we just sat around emailing all of you pretending to be a
customer, we could find that out. ;)  Price fixing is above-and-beyond
sharing how much you charge.

I'm on several lists for tech writing, and people often discuss how much
they are paid, especially to help out the newer writers.

On the other hand, it's perfectly within the rights of a list owner to
decide that these discussions shouldn't take place. Certainly, some people
get antsy about talking about money, and there are plenty of surveys to
look at.

-Katie