[thelist] Bill E-mail As Consultation Hours?

Aileen Wrothwell aileen at stonebikini.com
Wed Jul 19 13:09:42 CDT 2000

I have a question that may sound a little naive, but I need to ask it
anyway.  How do you bill for the time you spend exchanging e-mail with
clients?  At the moment, I have two clients I've never met in person, and
the majority of our conversation takes place on e-mail.  Until now, I've
just considered these discussions, question-answering, guidance sessions as
kind of a "value added" service included in doing business with me.  Clients
comment that they appreciate the fact that I take the time to answer their
questions.  However, lately I find that I'm spending more than an hour a day
answering e-mail from each client.  I'm thinking that this should be billed
as consultation time.  Your thoughts, please?  I'm not asking how much you
charge, but rather how you charge.  As always, thank you.  Aileen

Aileen Wrothwell
Stone Bikini
E-mail: aileen at stonebikini.com
Web site: http://www.stonebikini.com