[thelist] IE = Mozilla in log?

Greg Strange gstrange at e-tsi.com
Wed Jul 19 13:30:59 CDT 2000

on 7/19/00 12:39 PM, elkay at lwkraemer at earthlink.net wrote:

> Oddly, that number is not the version number of the browser, but rather is
> supposed to reflect the version of Netscape that the browser is roughly
> compatible with. So, IE5 (and IE4) returns 4 as its most like Nav 4.
>
> Silly, huh?

What kills me is when I see Mozilla/4.03.  Who remembers an NN4.03?  I
don't.  Also Sun systems give

Mozilla/4.7 [lang] (X11; I; SunOS x.x sun4u)

I means apparently it couldn't understand the value of the type of browser
making requests and who knows what X11 means?  Where X11 is is normally the
word compatible.

Greg
--
"Sometimes it's hard to believe that I am paid to
convince people to sit in a dark room for two hours and pay for it."