[thelist] RE: Razorfish retaliates - there's a reason for the cost

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 19 14:22:15 CDT 2000

> From:  Vladimir Cole <vcole at concretemedia.com>
>
> howdy from rainy nyc,

howdy from partly-sunny buffalo...

> There seems to be a bit of Razorfish / hi-end iBuilder bashing going
> on (below). I'm not here to defend a competitor, but to combat the

that bashing goes both ways... clients don't know any better, and
even think that low rates equates to low skills... i've heard it over
and over, our rates are lower (thought not as low as $50), and
companies in larger cities who are caught up in the hype assume
we don't know what we're doing... no, bashing the clients and the
vendors is much more appropriate...

> To misunderstand why some sites cost $10 million and why some cost
> $10,000 is to misunderstand the depth of the technologies that we're
> all working with. I know it's vogue to corporate-bash, especially in

you mean using a database vs. using a static page?  cuz that
alone doesn't warrant a factor of 10 difference, let alone a factor of
1,000....  hell, even rolling out a full-bore content tool and the like
doesn't often justify a $10mil site...

> grassroots, cowboy-culture communities where freelancers dominate the
> discussion, but we knock Ralf's work it'd be great to see a more
> thoughtful discussion of why it sucks (or doesn't suck).

i did post something last week about why it sucked, and it was
midly thoughtful (http://lists.evolt.org/archive/Week-of-Mon-
20000710/000393.html)...

> the site. Citing boo.com is so trite nowadays, but ...

citing boo.com is so *fun* though... citing postboo.com, on the
other hand, is just plain cool...