[thelist] IE 5.5 & CSS

Aylard JA (James) jaylard at equilon.com
Wed Jul 19 18:45:24 CDT 2000

Erika Meyer wrote:
> I don't remember what your problem is.  But something strikes me
> right off: somewhere I read to use "id" sparingly.

	There might be some issue with Netscape 4 on this (don't know for
sure, though), but I've never had any trouble with IE using gobs of ids.
Certainly the handful Kev was using wouldn't be a problem. In general, you
should use an id when applying style sheet properties that are unique to one
particular element, and a class when you are applying properties to a group
of elements. You can also use the html element name as a selector, and do
some mixing and matching. CSS2 adds some incredibly powerful capabilities to
selectors, but AFAIK nobody has implemented them yet.

> Another thing you are doing that seems odd is sticking markup <i>
> into something that is already in a CSS declaration.

	Again, nothing wrong here, per se. You are right that, as a basic
guideline, you want to separate style from markup. And to be purer in this
respect, you could use <em> instead of <i>, or if you have a bit more
energy, wrap such content in a span and apply an italic font-style through
CSS.
	None of these issues should break CSS presentation, though --
certainly not in IE.

James Aylard
jaylard at equilon.com