[thelist] Are Web designers a dying breed?

martin burns martin at members.evolt.org
Thu Jul 20 10:39:27 CDT 2000

> Roberto,
>
> I don't think it is possible to name the niches. The number is
> constantly
> growing. Think of a fractal - that's what is happening to niches.

And the nature of them is that if you discover a niche, then you have a (temporary) monopoly in it which is A Good Thing (tm).

But essentially any skill required in building a comprehensive site could have a niche. Be the Red Adair of a given skill - if you have an on-fire oil well, you're going to call Red.

You could also combine existing things in an odd way, like there's lots of Baywatch wannabe stars, and lots of violinists, but only one Linda Lampenius (aka Linda Brava). Tall, blonde, great figure and a concert violinist. Gets gigs like you wouldn't believe (including Baywatch).

Cheers
Martin