[thelist] Are Web designers a dying breed?

John Snippe design at cybernautica.com
Thu Jul 20 17:50:13 CDT 2000

On 7/20/00,  regarding " Re: [thelist] Are Web designers a dying breed? ",
Rachell Coe offered the following:

>At 12:14 PM 7/20/00 -0700, you wrote:
>>For me, a good designer finds ways to discover what people need... the
>>things that underlie what they *think* they need... and the things that
>>will eventually be needed by those in a relationship with the client (site
>>visitors, etc). Once they know those dynamics, it's a smaller task to
>>implement and test something which satisfies those needs.
>
>John brought up a very good point.  Do the people who sell the templates
>provide the market research to show their potential clients which designs
>work best with which target audience?  Do they explain the pro's and con's
>of going beyond the web safe palate?  Help their clients to add additional
>graphics to their site and tell them how to optimize them? Do they inform
>about page weight, and how fast a page needs to download before you risk
>loosing viewers?  Do they let you know approximately how long a 'page'
>should be? Do they talk about screen resolution, and the difference between
>a 'static' or 'liquid' site?  Most of these questions should be addressed
>when creating a web site for a business, but when you buy a template
>design, do they even get asked?  Even if these template design sites
>include the questions and answers on a FAQ's page, could they really do a
>good enough job?

As I said in an earlier post on this thread... I am guessing that, within
the continuum of available options, the 'tempate' thing has its place.  So
does the BigDesignHouse thing.  So does my thing.  Whatever works, right?

Much like in the print media.  Some folks get by with handbills on phone
poles.  Others take out 1/8 page ads in the local paper.  Yet others
publish a glossy brochure for the sales staff to hand out.  ect.  ect.  ect.

It is all about options, needs-assessment, and level of investment desired/
required to meet the goal, after all.  That is what being in business is
about... as much for us as for those we seek to serve.

Later...JS