[thelist] CSS, Netscape, .class oddity?

Aylard JA (James) jaylard at equilon.com
Fri Jul 21 15:43:48 CDT 2000

Tony K Bounds wrote:
> I've been trying to apply a .class via an external css to an entire table
> that encloses the layout for a page with a 2 pixel purple border.
> .bigbox { text-align: center; margin: 10px 0px 0px; padding:
> 0px 10px 10px;
> border: solid 2px #750151; width: 636px; height: auto }

	From my experience, applying CSS to an entire table tends to yield
some very inconsitent results from platform to platform and browser to
browser. Testing on Netscape 4.73 on NT, none of the table properties seems
to render, but the browser doesn't crash, either. I did notice that the
values for your shorthand border property are specified out of order; they
should be written:

border: 2px solid #750151 ;

(btw, how about replacing your color value with a web-safe color, such as
#660066 ?)

	My suspicion is that the most-potentially problematic CSS properties
are width and height -- and possibly padding and margin -- anything that
could force the browser to reformat the page from a static HTML rendering.
My recommendation is to remove all of your CSS properties for your table
except one, and try viewing the page in Netscape. If that proves successful,
add back in another property, view it again, and so on, to see which
property or properties might be offending. It is also very possible that no
single property is the cause, but that some combination of properties is.
You'll have to experiment.
	Of course, if Netscape for PC is any indication, you may get none of
this to work on the Mac, either. Good luck.

James Aylard
jaylard at equilon.com