[thelist] Are Web designers weird?

David Nicholls nicholls at u030.aone.net.au
Sat Jul 22 06:59:15 CDT 2000

Erika Meyer wrote:

> Allow me to confirm your suspicion.
> We are all weird.
> Brilliant, but weird.

There's evidence for this.  Web designers have quite a skewed
Myers-Briggs personality type distribution compared to the general
population.  A significant (3x normal levels) over-representation of
INTP and INFP, and to a lesser extent, INTJ, ENTP and ISTP.  Types 2
through 5 cluster around INTP (differing in each case by only one type
category) which seems to be the core type for web designers/coders. (The
poll and current results are at  http://thraxil.dhs.org/poll.html ).

Yes, we are weird, and it's fun!  (Me? INTP, of course).

> <tip type="ramen-additions" author="erika">
> hungry?

[Arrgghh!  I'm suddenly ravenous.]

<tip type="disaster avoidance" source="painful experience" author="dn">

If you have number of peripherals hanging off your PC and are
approaching IRQ overload, *don't* push the limit or, like me, you'll
spend 20 hours trying to recover. (Remember the Monty Python "Meaning of
Life" restaurant scene?)

In my case, 2 parallel printers (switched), 2 SCSI scanners, 1 serial
port UPS, 1 serial modem, 1 USB Wacom, 1 PS2 mouse, 1 keyboard, 1 USB
Zip drive, 1 Ethernet card (+ internal IDE Zip drive, HDD, Floppy, CD,
video, sound card and other Motherboard stuff) broke the camel's back.

</tip>

DN
--

David Nicholls