[thelist] Two Questions

Aylard JA (James) jaylard at equilon.com
Mon Jul 24 10:59:16 CDT 2000

Greg,

> 1) I recently discovered that a local group of blind people are looking at
> one of the websites I did and they said that some things came out weird.
> I'm wondering, is there some way I can run my webpage through something
that
> will read it aloud so that I know what they are hearing

	I know that there are other tools out there, but anyone with a copy
of Windows 2000 already has a screen-reader called "Narrator". See
http://www.microsoft.com/enable/products/windows2000/utilities.htm#narrator
for more info. Others on the list will be able to suggest other tools.

> whenever they go to
> my site and also does anyone have a trick for using acronyms so that they
> are read as acronyms and not as a word.  For example, one of the companies
> do work for is ICA which is apparently read as ick-a whenever they go to
it.

	Depending on the capabilities of their software, enclosing acronyms
within an HTML 4 <acronym> element may do the trick. However, the
screen-reader would have to be HTML 4-capable.

James Aylard
jaylard at equilon.com