[thelist] [ot] monitor help: which 17" or 19" and from who?

Theodore Serbinski need-4-speed-ski at erols.com
Tue Jul 25 09:59:37 CDT 2000

Okay I'm looking to buy a new computer soon (mostly likely a dell) and am
also looking to get a great monitor.

I am considering either getting a 17" or 19" monitor, but at the same time,
want to keep the price I spend on it relatively low (ie, hopefully no more
than $500) because more than likely in 2-4 years I'll be getting an LCD
display, once they become cheaper and more ubiqitious.

So I come with the question, which screen size should I get for
price/features? Should I just get a top of the line 17" monitor and save
some bucks (at least $200) verse a 19"? Will having that slightly larger
screen make that much of a difference (I do know that a larger screen is
beneficial in being more productive but in this case is it that much?).
Also, I am looking to get one of those flat monitors (hopefully or close
enough to it), since obviously the picture quality is a ton better and a
whole lot easier on the eyes.

What monitors I have found that offer some of the best picture quality are
these listed below (I know not all of them are completely flat):

G series by ADI:
http://www.adiusa.com/gfd.html

Mitshubishi Monitors:
http://www.mitsubishi-display.com/

Hitachi Monitors:
http://www.hitachidisplays.com/products/index.htm

And of course their is the famous Sony monitors, where also ADI and Dell use
the same and new FD trinitron tube from Sony in their monitors. I know
getting a 19" FD trinitron monitor from Dell is the cheapest route to a 19"
monitor by far (and also to a 17"), but at the same time, is it a great
picture and worth it? What about any of the others above?

Any help would be great.

thanks

-ted

<tip author="ted serbinski" type="search engines">
Need a great search engine for site? Don't have much cash? Well Atomz is
probably one of the best, free search engines out their, allowing you to
easily customize the results with no annoying ads:
http://www.atomz.com/
</tip>