[thelist] My MySQL tables got corrupted

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Tue Jul 25 11:09:09 CDT 2000

Christopher Ditty wrote:

>      Can someone give me some examples of how some of my MySQL tables got
>      corrupted?  I am running MySql on a *NIX based system if that matters.

Database goes down during a write. Usually I've seen indexes take the hit more than
the database itself, dropping and rebuilding the indexes is usually sufficient.

>      Also, does anyone have any type of solution for when the database goes
>      down?  ie....how are you notified?  Mine went down at 11:30pm.
>      Luckily, I checked it before hitting the sack.  If I had not checked
>      it, it would have been down all night.  My ISP support said that a 10
>      line script could do the job, but did not offer anything more than
>      saying that.

There are several ways. One is to write a small shell script that looks for the mySQL
daemon (ps auxw |grep -c mysqld). If the count is 0 or 1 (it may or may not count
your grep), then it emails you or tries to kick start the process, if you have enough
rights to do that.

--
Anthony Baratta
President