[thelist] Printing help - thanks

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 25 14:03:54 CDT 2000

> From: "Jay Turley" <jay at weberrific.org>
>
> The .RTF format will be used. Due to the fact the .RTF files are all
> in 7- bit ASCII, are completely compatible with Word, and have a
> simple file format, this will enable us to create formatted reports
> that are completely printable by clients. This includes formatting
> options such as page margins, document titles and creator info, etc.
> etc.

i'm still curious why you did this over PDF?  the 7-bit reason can't
be the only one - can it?  do more of your clients have Word (x.x)
than Acrobat?  do you know that *all* your clients will have the
correct fonts (assuming you are using basic ones, like Arial or
Times New Roman)?  are they all Windows users?  do your clients
know what to do with RTF, or are you hoping that they all have
Word associated with it?

> We will be creating a custom object and API for creating and modifying
> an RTF document. The documents, once created, will be saved on the
> server for download by clients and deleted when the session is ended.

done that with PDF, so i assume it's the same in concept... very
cool once you get that working...

> Any comments are welcome as we have not yet begun
development.

sure, where's yer suggestion boxen?