[thelist] Web Standards Project and Mozilla duke it out...

Daniel J. Cody djc at five2one.org
Tue Jul 25 16:04:42 CDT 2000

Saw 'em both last Friday actually.. Was gonna write something, and
didnt have anything to say that hadn't been said already(on the web at
least)

First off, whats up with the WSP "Blasting" everyone lately? If they're
so bored
and have nothing better to do, they should be QA'ing and bug testing
Mozilla
instead of bashing it for the sake of bashing it.

While its true that most average users don't care about
standards-compliance,
its important to note that the WSP is, for the most part, not standard
users.

Chris Nelson(of mozillazine.org) makes an excellent rebuttal in his
piece.. I'd
also like to ask the question 'when did wsp become interested in market
share?'
Do market share and standards complaince somehow correlate? Obviously,
IE proves
that they don't - so I wonder why the WSP brings up that point. On a
side note,
I would like to ask that question, but who do I ask? This 'the wasp'
which claims
the pen for the article? Anyways..

Again, I think you're on the money when you say that the average user
doesn't care
about standards complaince. What they *do* care about is why Aunt
Thelma's web
page that she made with editor X doesn't look right in their browser Y.
Of course
they don't think, "I wish browsers were standards-compliant!", I would
imagine
they think something more along the lines of "The AOL on my web just
broke the
Internet!"(no, i'm not serious so dont flame me ;) - It is up to groups
of people
like the WSP and developers like us to advocate standards-compliance for
the Aunt Thelma's of the world though. I really don't see how this piece
from
the WSP does that.

.djc.
(sorry about the formatting if its fux0red, working on a new email
client.)