[thelist] IE = Mozilla in log?

Oliver Lineham oliver at lineham.co.nz
Wed Jul 26 09:49:30 CDT 2000

At 09:46 19/07/00 -0700, you wrote:

>Can anyone explain why Internet Explorer is identified in my server log as:
>ŠMozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.0; Mac_PowerPC) ?

as i understand it, microsoft did this originally so that websites designed
to provide special features for navigator users (such wonders as inline
images and cookies) would be provided to ie users also.

at the time, netscape was the only browser that supported these things and
the other "big" browsers were the likes of lynx and mosaic.

</ol>

     v i b e   m e d i a    http://www.vibe.co.nz/
  po box 10-492              wellington, new zealand
  phone +64 21 210-7845         oliver at lineham.co.nz