[thelist] Mac runtime for java update?

i isaac at members.evolt.org
Wed Jul 26 11:25:23 CDT 2000

> Tell em that the current Mac market is growing so steadily and so quickly
> that it would behoove them to stop being digital snobs and get their act
> together.

Last time I heard a stat, the Mac market in Australia was around 6%. Can't find
the article I read that in though, sorry.

It's always seemed to me that the computer market in Australia has more sales by
percentage from smalltime computer shops (as opposed to the big names (gateway,
dell, compaq, apple, etc)) when compared with the US, for example. I don't know
anyone who owns a computer of one of these brands (except one friend with a
mac). Everyone else either custom builds, gets a friend to custom build, or
finds a little place somewhere to custom build.

If this is fact, then I'm guessing that it's what leads to lower percentages of
Mac users in Australia, as well as for the name brands.

That said, my credit union has half-decent Internet banking that's likely to
work OK on all platforms. I'm not sure if they operate outside of SA, so using
them could depend on where you live. They're CPS (http://www.cpscu.com.au/) if
you want to check them out. Their Internet banking might not have every feature
that the big banks do, but then CPS don't have the insane fees that the fucked
up big banks in Australia generally have.

And of course, NAB is facing that $51b lawsuit right now - surely a few wary
customers around, eh? ;)